To allow enough time for these approval procedures to occur in a timely manner, the Route + Submit Proposal process should begin at least 10 business days prior to the sponsor deadline:
When preparing to submit a proposal to an external sponsor, a Proposal Approval Form (PAF) must be submitted to the U-M Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) to document and ensure that all University commitments regarding a project comply with University and government regulations. Each PAF must be approved at the Unit and University levels, and is necessary to protect both the University and the faculty PIs.
When preparing to submit a proposal, the procedure varies slightly from sponsor to sponsor, particularly between external and internal sponsors. Our Research Administrator is available to walk you through this process, so please do not hesitate to reach out—and the earlier the better! Even if your proposal narrative is not finished yet, our RA can begin working with you on the other administrative components (including a budget, budget justification, a PAF, and other supporting documents). You can reach out either by sending an email to taubmancollegeresearch.umich.edu, or by completing this Intent to Submit a Proposal form.
Some general steps to consider during this process are:
- Review the information included in the PAF (for external grants only).
- Review the budget.
- Review compliance with sponsor guidelines.
- Document approvals for any cost-sharing required by Taubman College. (If you need to discuss your options for this, please email email@example.com. If you need to apply for an IDC waiver for a foundation-funded project, please complete this IDC Waiver Request form).
- Document approvals for any space allocations. (If you need to discuss your options for this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Make sure all Principal Investigators, Participating Investigators, Research Assistants, and Students have completed the required PEERS online training.
The U-M Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) website contains additional information.