As you manage your project, you will need to initiate procedures to close out your project about 4 months prior to the end date.
As you close out your project, it is important to be aware of the roles and responsibilities of the PI and other personnel. This guide from the U-M Office of Research and Sponsored Projects lays this out very clearly.
Make sure to keep the following in mind:
- Manage budgets closely as you near the end of your project. See the Manage Project page for more information on this.
- Evaluate project status according to the project schedule. If you need more time, request a no-cost time extension from the sponsor by sending an email explaining (i.) the justification/reason needed for more time, and (ii.) the new project end date. Remember to check the sponsor guidelines for any sponsor specific requirements, and/or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions.
- Review sponsor requirements for reporting.
- Document project deliverables.
- Prepare dissemination. Check project budget for dissemination allowances. If needed, apply for College dissemination funding.
- Prepare final submissions.
- Reconcile budget. Please work with our Research Administrator to do this.
- Conduct financial reporting (ORSP).
The U-M Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) website contains additional information.