A student may elect or modify a course to pass/fail through the third week of a full term and the second week of a half term, but only under the following conditions:
- Students in the M.Arch. degree may not take courses pass/fail.
- Courses offered by Taubman College may not be taken pass/fail.
- Courses taken to fulfill distribution requirements for the B.S. degrees may not be taken pass/fail.
- Courses taken as replacements for waived classes may not be taken pass/fail.
- English Language Institute courses may not be taken pass/fail.
- Undergraduates may take a maximum of one general elective course per term on a pass/fail basis.
- Rackham students cannot take classes on a pass/fail grading scale.
Credit hours for courses satisfactorily completed as pass/fail will apply toward the degree, but grade point averages are not affected.
Instructors are not informed of those students taking a course on a pass/fail basis. Instructors report grades as usual and the Office of the Registrar makes the following conversions:
- A through C- is entered on the academic record as “P” (pass) for credit.
- D+ through E is entered on the academic record as “F” (fail) for no credit.