Incomplete Grades

An “Incomplete” (denoted on the transcript by the symbol “I”) may be reported only if the amount of unfinished work is small, the work is unfinished for reasons acceptable to the instructor, and the student’s standing in the course is at least “C-“. An “I” grade not finished by the incomplete deadline or an approved extended deadline lapses to “IE”.


Students who find themselves unable to finish all of the assignments for a course before the end of the term may request a grade of Incomplete from the instructor. The instructor is under no obligation to grant this request, and can only grant it if:

  • the student has already finished about 70% of the work;
  • the student’s current grade in the course is at least “C-“.
Was this article helpful?

Related Articles