The following external resources are relevant to those interested in architecture and urban design. Among them are salary reports and information about licensing and professional organizations. The Occupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics contains information about job outlooks, median pay, and more.
Students are encouraged to conduct research regarding the pay rate for full-time jobs and internships. If you would like to discuss a job or internship offer, please schedule an appointment with the Career & Professional Development team. Some commonly used salary resources are listed below:
The National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) is the primary industry resource responsible for licensure. Those interested in becoming licensed architects will need to complete the following:
- Earn an architecture degree from a NAAB-accredited program.
- Gain and document the required experience.
- Pass the Architect Registration Examination (ARE).
- Meet any extra jurisdictional requirements.
- Have your NCARB Record transmitted to the jurisdiction where you would like to be licensed.
Those interested in licensure should always refer to the NCARB Website for the most up-to-date information. More specific information from NCARB can be found using the links below:
- Starting Your NCARB Record
- Recording AXP Experience
- AXP Experience Requirements
- ARE Test Preparation
- Start the ARE
Architects and Urban Designers can choose to pursue a number of professional certifications, including:
- LEED Green Associate
- LEED AP with Specialty
- WELL AP Certification
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
There are many professional organizations that architects may choose to become involved with, including:
- The American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- There are local and regional chapters of AIA, including the Huron Valley chapter.
- The National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA)
- The Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA)
- The Architectural League of New York